Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How to Generate Business in Non-Business Situations

Like many people, my life is very busy with all of the groups, organizations, causes, clubs, and associations I am apart of. At the moment, I get my business strictly from my business networking groups. I get many things from my social, religous and philanthropic associations, but one of them is not business. I did not join these groups to get business, but, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be able to provide my services for the members of these groups and the groups themselves.

So, how do you approach the subject of business, in non-business settings?

Do you approach religious groups differently from sports clubs, or philanthropies from alumni associations?

What is the best way to bring up the subject of what you do, if it has not been brought up?

When I brought the question up at my weekly BNI meeting, I got a variety of responses. Harvel Jackson, from the Kitchen, Bath and More Store, recommended to attend the events of the organizations where there is alcohol involved. It got a laugh, but people do tend to open up about work, and talk about their services and product providers in this type of situation.

Another member, Gloria Anderton with Capital Mortgage, recommended going up to people you recognize, especially when it feel uncomfortable. You never know what could come of that. Victor Morales from Southern Trust Securities, said that it is ok to bring up what you do in social settings. He said a good way to do it is by asking other people what they do. One of our prospective new members, Dustin Petty with A-Max Air Conditioning, suggested doing work for the organizations for free. If this works for your industry, the members of your group with see what you do, and try to give back to you, for helping them.

Lastly, our illustrious member, Vincente de la Vega, recommended treating all business relationships like a love relationship, and just make sure you that you are giving everything you can, and then you will be rewarded.

* * *

I plan to discuss this topic in upcoming networking groups, and post the responses on this blog. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I will gladly post the response and give you credit.

No comments: